Sunday, July 25, 2021

Marshalls ....Small Cabs and Headaches ...You gotta take a stand!!!

 QUIKLOK BS 165 AMP STAND 

$72.00 USD
I have a Plexi head it is in great condition and I want to keep that way. Yes a Marshall head has a bit of weight but it is lot smaller than a combo so it is not hard to carry with both arms holding it against your chest & pretty much be sure you will not cause cosmetic damage let alone slam it and knock out a tube or worse. 
Quite often a nice tube head will show up for a great price as most guys feel with the overhead of moving gear and the small gigs they can find it just does not make sense to go amp and cab.
BUT! You can have it both ways with a great head and just use a small cab like a single 12". I use a Celestion Neo G12 Creamback. It has a neodymium magnet and because it is so powerful you can use a much smaller magnet to do the job.
All this results in a light weight. There have been 2 speakers that have been hot for decades. The Celestion v30 and the equally famous Greenback. 
Both are killer but v30 is underpowered and weak in the lows. 
The good news is this 'Creamback' in spite of it's name sounds 
like a Greenback, even better a vintage Greenback. Since 
you do not have the advantage of a half stack and are 
using perhaps even an open back cab for less weight etc. 
You want those lows. The Neo is ideal.

BIG PROBLEMS
Yes the problem is a Marshall head is big and a single 12 Cab is small. We have to turn them into a combo or the whole point of all this is ....'pointless.'
I actually had to make a stand for my Marshall that lets the cab sit underneath as a few years ago there were no elegant solutions. 
Today I stumbled on the Quiklok 625 Amp Stand. A cool Italian company that has been around since the 70's and many of their original equipment stands are still made. Because they work ...and they can take a bit of kicking. They fold up nice & small too.....Problem solved!!!


ORDERED?
The entire planet is out of stock. Since Covid the cliche ..."we can have it in stock in 4 days" ...does not even happen on Fender picks where one I wanted to try is still not in stock and a year has past?
So, I found a place with one! I ordered it and in the fine print it said Sept???
On the bright side. I needed a guitar stand and I like a particular Hercules one. It was on a blow out sale so I did order that which brought my shipping down.

NOV. UPDATE
I gave up. 
I decided to go old school and get a cab that fits under my amp.
The Canadian maker Traynor make the Custom Valve 60 . It has a Fender vibe to the look. The whole spec for the build is easily equal to a gourmet brands spec and build.  It includes a Celestion V30 speaker that I can swap out and sell in my present cab for $100.  The price is only $285.00 USD. WTF!!! A third of the big brands gourmet brands!!! Once I sell my present cab I am only in it for $185. It is a nobrainer buy!

2 comments:

  1. What cab are you using with the Neo Creamback? I personally like the small Egnater 1x12 Tweaker Cabs - mine of G12H30 and Celestion Gold speakers in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I built the cab myself from pine. All the 50's Fender cabs were pine. It is a very simple design with an open back. My secret weapon is my Shiftline A+ CabZone LE. I had an idea that if you got an ir box that you of course would mot get the resonance of a 4x12 cab but you could create the illusion of it. I talked to the techs at Strymon and they said I was nuts. Two weeks after that they called me back to apologize because they tried my idea and it worked. When you stand in the middle of a club the ir gives the illusion that you are hearing a 'stack' LOL. The Cabzone has 10 cabs to choose from Marshall, Vox, Peavey 2120 etc. but I leave it on the MESA Rectifier because it is the fatest. You can use 3rd party cabs but I have never got into it. The unit is the size of a flip top pack of cigarettes so it is small. It is very nicely made. You can also use it direct out to the board live or recording. Best part is it is only $100.00 USD. As for your cab it too is an open back so to a great degree open back cabs do not have a big impact on the sound so I expect it sounds much like mine.They are nicely made and look cool though. When I got my Celestion it was before any reviews were in
    I got it because it was light and it could handle the 50 plus watts of my Marshall.lol I would have bought a Greenback but it can not handle the power. Pete Thorn gave me the heads up later that when testing speakers with Suhr they found out that the NEO sounds like a vintage Greenback.So obviously I was very pleased with my choice. Celestion just does not make bad speakers.I fully expect you are getting a killer sound!There is nothing like a 4x12 cab because of the resonance creates a balzy 'thump' These days I am not into all that lifting. I am in good shape for 74 but my age you heal slowly. I can lift about 70 pounds but i pay for it LOL

    ReplyDelete