Wednesday, July 28, 2021

OVERDRIVE- BOSS ML-2 Metal Core ...in plain site but always under the radar!

 BOSS ML-2 METAL CORE

$105.00 USD
The pedal is still easy to find but it was discontinued in 2019. Having talked to several hands on reviewers we all agree it was never as popular as the Heavy Metal or Metal Zone because of it's name. By calling it 'Core' players thought it simply was meant for Hardcore Metal. If they disliked Hardcore or if they identified with another genre of Metal they would skip past it even at a Bricks & motor store where they came to try out high gain pedals. 
Another thing if you are into Hardcore you would see it as a serious genre and see a pedal labeled 'Core' as a toy for preteens that just got past 'air' guitar and learnt 3 chords and wanted to play Rock Star thru there 2 watt practice amp.
The damn thing is just a straight forward designed high gain pedal 
...maybe a bit overkill with it's high gain but it can fit what 
ever genre of Metal you want. When did Rock have rules you can not break ??? 
The layout is a simple level, lows, highs and gain. Dead simple to dial in.
CONCLUSION
On the down side it could use a 'mid' feature. On the plus side it has the best lows I have ever heard. 
No one just uses one OD anymore so there are places in any Metal genre where having 
crushing lows yet maintaining a biting attack is to die for.
or as Ola says "...sh@t, OK! ...Yeah!!! "

It covers all the bases check out the 'Will it Chug' video ...from 4:00 ..this is convention Metal type setting found it styles since the late 80's.
The second video shows you how you can use the pedal to venture in the opposite spectrum ...even sluggish slow moving Doom.

I'm convinced I ordered one for $82, free shipping from Japan!


FINAL THOUGHTS
I do tunes using triplets at 220 bpm ...but I also do tunes at 75 bpm. This the only pedal I feel could cover both. 
With tunes at a medium tempo I use a lot of different Marshall-in-a-Box pedals. 
I mix it up even using a Brit pedal on the verse but maybe sluggish heavy sounds in the chorus.
My rig is weakest at the extremes. Really slow and really fast tempo.
This just might be the cure.
I will let you know with a HANDS ON  ...when it arrives.

PREDICTION
Both the Boss HM-2 and the Metal Zone went from pedals despised by the critics to pedals you could buy at a garage sale for $15 to pedals that were competing with Klon and the King of Tone as stupidly high over priced 'Must Haves'. Trust me ...the Core is next. It is in it's despised stage!
Now is a chance to get a mint one relatively cheap. There never was a MIJ one so all are from Taiwan. Which keeps it simple ...what year it is made is irrelevant.

TOTAL CONFUSION
So just when you thought it was safe I just have to bring your attention to a clone. Nux make the Nux Metal Core. The voicing is not identical but it has two voices. One similar to theBoss and another that is a good take on a MESA Dual Rectifier. This pedal too is discontinued in favor of the the NUX Pedal Core Deluxe. It is not the new and improved it is instead the totally FU version. To the point there are lots of the originals still around at $42.00 USD.  Check the Post for the while scoop and give a listen.
HANDS ON
it's Friday ...my day off ...from rehearsal.I use it to try out new gear.
I usually have tunes I specifically want it for. The first was a Modern 
Metal quasi chunk thing. I did not like it!
I also just got the Columbo JCM 800 pedal that killed this tune so it 
isn't an issue.
I then tried it in a medium tempo tune and a 'grinder'. Killer!!! 
The medium tempo was especially good as I was looking for tight 
super aggressive sound that sounded cool thru a Flanger.
The 'grinder' needed just a bit more upper mids and 'chainsaw' 
so I stacked my trusty ol'  RAT II on it.
So as the cliche goes ...2 thumbs up!


No comments:

Post a Comment