Thursday, July 15, 2021

GIBSON NECK PROFILE - What's the Best?

 NECK PROFILE 
There isn't a best as far as comfort and ease of playing. Yes a thin neck is great for speeding up and down the fretboard but if you rest your hand in one spot you have to use more pressure on your thumb to hold down chords. It is very noticable if you flat pick or finger pick. The arch created between your thumb and first finger is less stressed if it has somewhere to rest. The biggest advantage of fatter neck is it causes significantly less stress on your hand.
What about tone. A thinner neck is brighter and gives you more attack on the string. 
The fatter necks have a fatter tone and more sustain.
On the whole I prefer a fatter neck but I have guitars that go from Ibanez like thin 'Wizard' necks to a 1954 baseball bat neck.
One nice thing is probably obvious and it is fat necks are more stable. Both the neck twisting or arching are less likely. My 1954 has never had more than the set up it had when I got it years ago.

GIBSON NECK PROFILES

My LENARD F-4G has the 50's medium C profile
It took me about 2 weeks to get so I found it just a normal thing.
It does not slow me down even a bit .


NOTE:
It is interesting to note guys who play a vintage Tele. It has a fat neck, 
21 frets and the bolted on neck gets in the way to the upper access but they 
many can guys can play sh@t on it that we can only wish! 
I am 74 and most of my best guitars I bought online just because they 
looked cool. LOL Yes a few I sold but not one because I had issues with the feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment