Wednesday, July 14, 2021

OVERDRIVE-COLUMBO AUDIO ELECTRONICS Lead Trilogy ....JCM 800-in-a-Box and more!

COLUMBO AUDIO ELECTRONICS LEAD TRILOGY
$270.00 USD
I have Luco's Plexi Breed with a JTM 45, a 1959 Super Lead and a model 1987 50 watt all in the same box. All 3 are totally convincing clones of the actual amps. 
It is a 'to die for' pedal for those wishing to nail the original sounds. 
The 'Lead' is the same deal but with the JCM 800 family of amps which include the 'Silver Jubilee' and the JCM 900.
To describe the pedal is to describe the amps. I will just stick to the layout.
You have a simple volume, tone and gain. A toggle lets you choose the voices. 
Luco nails the voices so you do not have to pizz around tweaking something to get them. 

CONCLUSION 
It is what it is!!! The perfect summary for all but the uninformed.
Most Marshall pedals are designed to sound like an amp cranked really hot and even include extra gain and EQ or whatever to sound like the Post production sound you 
here on a recording. 
Luco's Marshall pedals sound like the amp the guy recording is hearing standing in front of it on stage. To get the full effect you need a touch of feedback. Do not get me wrong  you do not need to crank your amp. A 30 watt amp even clean but set no louder than a drummer will do that. 
BIG BUT that is loud for use at home with others about. You can see in the video when the guy wants to shred 

All 3 of these gems
in a box!!!
he hits a booster pedal. It is not an issue just playing 
the songs verse, chorus etc. It can become an issue on soloing.
Now in a band you have a drummer so pushing your amp just even with the drums and you get it all. Great tone 
and a serious feedback.
Will I buy the pedal??? Well I have not yet. LOL
I just bought Luco's Plexi for F. sake!



HANDS ON:
The accuracy of the 3 tones is certainly nailed. In the end I liked the JCM 800 the best.
Columbo pedals sound and act like the real amps. A JCM 800 is a hundred watt amp 
and it was played loud and boosted with an OD or Fuzz usually a Tube Screamer.
I prefer the TS9.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for your post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got mine. I have few tunes where nothing seem to fit and this did a lot better than just fit it took them to serious level one only hears on a great recording.

      Delete
  2. I have talked myself in then out of it and then back in again. LOL I really do love this pedal but the only pedal I want is one with this much tone and great wall of sound effect it has but with killer sustain. At present I have the Revv G4, the Tortuga Death Adder and the Amptweaker Tight Metal. They all do a great job but they do not have that super rich Plexi sound :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Paul, hope this message finds you well! Have you compared the Colombo Audio Plexi Breed vs the LPD sixty 8 and the Colombo Audio Trilogy in the 800 mode vs the Pal800, I would love to hear your impressions? By the way, the maker's name is Luca Colombo, not Luco Columbo. Regards!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just purchased this pedal used. Having been a JCM800 guy was very curious. Tried the JHS rout it didn't do it for me. But the lead trilogy WOW!!! This has to be the closest I've heard to my old 2203 and you get that plus a Jubilee and a 900 to boot.stellar pedal . The plexi is on my list now

    ReplyDelete