Friday, February 19, 2021

FUZZ- OKKO FX Black Beast ...the shatter, shock, stun, dumfound, traumatize, destroy, ruin and crush pedal :-)

 OKKO FX BLACK BEAST FUZZ/DISTORTION 
$200.00 USD

Not surprising Okko usually get's it right they have been making nothing but dirt boxes since 2003. This has been around unchanged since 2010. they are a German company that live up to the stereotype.
The layout is Bass, Treble, Gain and Level.
Kaputt? Yes that dials in the Fuzz. A Metal pedal that crosses all the genres. If used as a Metal OD you can kill the Fuzz and still get great sounds. If on the other hand you want to take it to death and destruction genres 
it is all there. 
CONCLUSION
I have struggles with my music where it can lean either way. Too much splutter and disintegration doesn't work. Many Fuzz pedal just choke up or do not have a decent sustain. 
Other hybrids do not have heavy lows or even 
lower mids. Low end will disappear under the
drums and bass in a band. I have heard guys that use a crushing scooped sound that in a band nothing is audible but the highs. 
It is hilarious as in the audience it sounds like the guy playing a banjo! I do NOT exaggerate!  
The lows on this have a killer headroom. The lows are frighteningly dense and harsh they cut thru the mix like a Viper MGR-17 rocket. This was designed to do the job. There are pedals that sound better. Yes!!! I said better. Big BUT...they just do not do the job. This pedal has been available without updates for 11 years. It was designed to move mountains.
This is the best I've ever heard.
 
'HANDS ON'
Well I got mine and took a couple of weeks writing a new tune to put it straight into application.
It does what it claims. I fly from a few slow moving 'Doom' chords to intricate blitz riffs so I found I 
needed to back the bass and fuzz off a bit.  With such a massive sound a little extra care is needed with your palm muting. I found I had to use more gate than usual to tighten the sound. 
I was writing music specifically for it's voice so I got killer results.
VERDICT:  Definitely a keeper. The pedal was made to impress an audience. It does!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment