Monday, July 17, 2023

____ Recommended ____ an ORANGE ?

 ORANGE-IN-A -BOX ???

I am always asked to recommend pedals. Tough because we all have a different rig and are into different musics. Made even tougher because these day there are a hundred sub genres of Metal alone. Most guys for a low gain are happy enough with one of one zillion takes on a Tube Screamer or these day even morso a BluesBreaker knock off.
Next on the list is a MIAB. I have to recommend the Caline. 
Caline are all about clones even though they refuse to formally tell you what they cloned. You have to guess or take someone else's guess until the best gets an A/B video with the original. So what this is meant to be I have no clue. Yes there are guesses but simply does not sound like the guesses at all.

$40.00 USD
CALINE CP-69 HIGH PEAK DISTORTION
This pedal came out in the early Covid days and without any serious YouTube demo. Not even an in house. So it in effect came and went though it stayed in their catalogue up to about a month ago. There are a few kicking around on AliExpress.
So what does it sound like. Damned if it doesn't nail an Orange Rockerverb MKIII amp. The amp Billy Corban has been touring with of late.
The perfect cross between a classic Marshall and a modern Metal gourmet type amp. Very fat, punchy but with cutting highs, good string definition and above all it has balz!!! It sits amongst my best $300ish pedals and gets used equal to some but more than others. Sometimes my best advisors are you guys. 
A few have argued this is a clone of a MXR Badass Distortion. Since Caline is a cloner it probaby started life with the same topography but got changed by the parts they substituted. I confess I love the subs whatever they are,lol.
 
The video is merely OK but does not do the 
pedal justice especially in its balz and sustain. 
 

On AliExpress at ZORY MUSIC STORE $40

5 comments:

  1. I bought one recently at you recommendation, its just amazing the amount of gain AND how well cut in a full band context, the eq is very flexible, I even used It in low gain settings with tasteful eq.

    I also hace the Oxford joyo pedal that Is a very good orange sim, and the caline is better

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDT06YesOKI

    ReplyDelete
  3. MXR super badass distortion clone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are probably right. I re-wrote my Post to reflect it :-) Thanx for the heads up it made me listen to a dozen revies even several not available when I first reviewed the pedal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your interesting blog !

      Delete