Friday, October 29, 2021

OVERDRIVE- JHS Pack Rat ... choose a Rat ...any Rat! ...JUST RELEASED TODAY

 JHS PACK RAT OD.
$250.00 USD
Josh has done it again. His Tube Screamer gave you a choice of 9 different popular takes borrowed from 9 different popular TS type pedal makers. Now we get 9 different Rats.
Like the Rat pedal you get volume, gain and tone/filter. A nine setting rotary switch gives you plenty of choice.
Most guys will pick one and never change it but WTF it is nice to have.
CONCLUSION
I have gone thru a few Rat pedals and own 3 but I only use one. It is the current Rat II. Unlike all so called new and improves it is the most raspy, rough and balzy. The lows have just a tad of Fuzz in them.
Most Rats have been clean and tidied up. WTF if you want that get a good MIAB.
This Rat even if it was NOT labeled a Rat is part of the hard clipper family along with gems like the Boss SD-1 and as such has turned 
out as is a damn good pedal.
 
It could be the main OD for some guys but if it is meant to be 
one of a collection with a Fuzz a MIAB or Tube Screamer etc. 
then just buy a Rat II. As a general dirt pedal for any Metal 
genre it will work great on it's own or stacked. One thing for 
sure it is the King Rat' over all other 'gourmet choices.

2 comments:

  1. So for a Rat do you still recommend the RAT 2 over other challengers??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The JHS has one sh@t load of sounds all usable and some killer. You can go from standard OD voicings to Metal like tones to Fuzz like sounds.The Rat II is what it is. One sound but great. If I stack a Fuzz on it I can get a good Metal like sound too. You can get 4 Rats for the price of the JHS so you have to weigh how where and how you use it. Even with downsizing I have 67 pedals and they cover everything I do. My band does my 27 tunes which I use sounds from Metal genres from every decade since the late 60's I often change my sounds from 3 different decades on the same tune. Most guys usually stick to one genre and may borrow from 2 others that are closely related. When I was in the UK thru the 70's I was in a Prog Rock band and just driving a Marshall with a Fuzz is all I needed. It all gets down to the genre you wish to play. A lot of guys enjoy playing covers of the hits from even unrelated genres in their case one of everything would be nice. In the end the goal is having fun at home, then there are no rules or doing the hits in a part time band or having a shot at the what passes for the Big Time with your own music.I choose aiming for the the top.I am 73. I find it easier to keep on trying now than when I was in my 20's because I always told myself I don't give a f-ck if I make it or not. Now I really believe it so I have never had more fun. I do not get frustrated learning theory or practising hours to get my playing better etc. because I know few weeks from now I will have mastered the challenge. The only destination on lifes journey is death so enjoy the trip. When things F. up you can fix them 9 times out of 10 because your not dead yet. In fact if you totally hit the wall you get to do something totally new and fresh with all new wonderful possibilities.Once one gets that thru their head then life is just one long exciting adventure.

    ReplyDelete