Wednesday, October 13, 2021

GUITAR- I have 12 but if it were two..it would be these :-)

MY BEST FRIENDS
I have 12 guitars, but I play 10. I pull down 4 to play over a several hour period every day.

GIBSON STANDARD SG LTD. ED. 
It is a 2017 I bought from a Estate Sale. Never played, even the high end hard shell case was mint. It was still in the plastic bag that had a sealed top.
I bought it to flip. I paid $800.00 USD. Sad but I only guess the guy was too ill to play it. His family just sold it as a used guitar and could have seen it like all they were selling as used consumer goods like an fridge or TV. If so they would see it as 3 years old a depreciated item like a 3 year old lawn mower. 
When a manufacture makes a run of a particular guitar statistically one out of forty is exceptional. Damned if this was not the 'one'. 
Best sounding guitar I ever owned and have owned 2 vintage LP's, a V, a Firebird, an SG Special even a '63 Strat.


LENARD F-4G
It is a long story going back to 1976 when I got interested in what makes a great guitar ...great. I visited factories and the early gourmet builders and spent time with many as a free 'go-for' I made friends with both Gibson and Fender old timers. All had much to tell and one even had a giant bundle of photo copied research papers. Only one is still alive, semi retired and a very close friend of 'Leo'. I studied Industrial design and with my hands on guitar knowledge I got work redesigning guitars for production.
A few years back I decided to create LENARD Re-Inventions to make my own guitar line. My first guitar is meant to be a second guitar, a Fender for for a Gibson guy. After a lot research the consensus was a guitar that looked Fender like but not a clone. A Tele neck PU and a Strat PU for the neck and center. The best of both Tele & Strat. Gibson guys are not whammy guys so it had to have a hardtail bridge and the neck had to 'feel' like a Gibson. For the look I got access to drawings Leo made in '53 for a new guitar. He had just finished the first P Bass a double cut and so he drew a Tele body added the the bass horn and cut off the treble horn. He had finished designing the hardtail bridge, his first bridge with 6 saddles. The bridge PU was a Tele but a second PU at the neck looked like what became a Strat PU. The neck looks Fender. But since it is for a Gibson guy from the nut to the heel it is a '59 Les Paul spec. Covid virtually killed all plans to manufacture the guitars that had been set up and in motion in 2019.
Only the prototype remains.


Last words
These are my 2 favorite guitars. A classic Gibson and a Fender that was never made with a Gibson neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment