Tuesday, June 8, 2021

OVERDRIVE- BOSS SD-1 Super Over Drive... after 40 years ...still cool ???

 BOSS  SD-1 SUPER OVER DRIVE 
$50.00
When the Tube Screamer came out Boss had a patent on a their OD-1 pedal using 2 Op-Amps to create asymmetrical tube like distortion. So the Tube Screamer used one OpAmp and symmetrical clipping diodes. Both pedals sold well and both made updates and spin offs. When the Boss SD-1 came out it was a replacement for the OD pedal. The weird thing is they use a Tube Screamer schematic instead of the OD-1 one. They then simply used asymmetrical clipping diodes so it sounds more amp like and not at all Tube Screamer sounding. Many, including me, think it is the best of the OpAmp type OD's in spite of its mix of two separate classics.
It is still very popular even in it's latest MIT form. In fact if you triple your outlay you can buy a Waza Craft handmade MIJ version.
Boss just brought out a 40th anniversary one in black. So
a few stores are knocking a few bucks off the yellow one.
CONCLUSION
Love it. It is still a great medium gain OD. Even if you have one of the 
modern JFET killer Amp-in-a-Box OD's this is a great addition for tunes 
that need a chunky sound that is so tight you can strum chords with it.
Add to that you can stack it on another drive for high gain or even Metal 
sounds. Hell the damn price is cheaper than some Chinese brands copy!
...I ordered a new one for $45.00 USD

HANDS ON
I have been playing it for a few days now. I love it. It does exactly what I bought it for. 
I only play my own 26 tunes in my Prog Metal band. I like a lot of variety so on a couple of tunes I still use scales and modes that are Prog but the tunes are really more Hard Rock then Metal. On those tunes Metal OD's and even Marshall-in-a-Box pedals are too overwhelming. The SD-1 is ideal. I pull back the gain and get a really nice clear and chunky sound with just enough punch to say listen to me! 

Up Date
Check my Post of the Caline Osmium of Apr.11,2022.
It is a clone. A damn good one. Keep in mind the Boss
is made in Taiwan and uses current parts.
These parts are not pricey. So a price of $35.00 USD
is valid to do a decent replica of the Boss.
Worth considering? Yes? ....Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment