Sunday, January 3, 2021

GUITAR- EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD 50's ...and a lot more!

 EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD 50's 
Two things i must say first. I have a a Gibson LP and although I will rant for awhile
I will indeed finish off with this Epi which I think is the best LP they make.

I do not do guitars as a rule. I only show ones I think have a unique character and are often fairly cheap.They are also a Pro statement. More on that later.
My mind set is Pro, Pro,Pro. In short a Pro would almost never play an Epi. Yes you can give me exceptions but trust me those guys were not offered a 'Signature Gibson' and these days where recordings are all but free the only way a new band can make money is at live gigs and even then touring is damn expensive.
So getting PAID to play and promote a guitar is going to be a given. These guys do not have to use his Epi in the studio...and won't.
I hate what Gibson did to the Epi name. It used to be a unique guitar and I am all for the new repro's of the Crestwood, Wiltshire and Coronet. 
BIG BUT ...an Epi should not be a Gibson 'wannabee' 
Gibson should do what PRS did with the SE series and have Gibson on the headstock of guitars that are obviously Gibson guitars.


I hate to tell you but a $200.00 USD used Danelectro guitar is Pro
but the EPI Gibson wannabee is not.
Besides Page putting Dano on the map
I will not go into other reasons why a Dano is a Pro guitar
but it 'is' and is still the cheapest Pro guitar you can buy new..
So you maybe you agree. BUT you have BUTS?
Well I do too.
The Lipstick Tube PU's is not my ideal for Metal but
a PU can be changed!

The bridge is a Duncan 'Pearly Gates' PAF and the neck PU is a
handwound dead on clone of a '64 Hendrix Strat.
I even used 60's style covers and bezels to not screw
with the retro look.
The guitar looks like it was done at the factory!!!  
The sound of this guitar is killer.
It cost me the same as buying an Epi!!!

Guys come up to me at a gig and admire it.Especially
after they heard it.
Best of all  do not have to say.
 'Yes it is an Epi but it is just as good as blah blah blah  blah"
It always sounds lame when you say it
and no one is convinced.

YES I DIGRESS SO...
If your gonna buy one then get the best for the least...
I have picked the Gold Top LP for a reason. In order to cut ever corner possible Gibson uses veneers over the wood on an Epi to cover up using 3 or 4 pieces of wood on the body. With a Gold Top the paint covers all that.
The good news is this clones the look of a real Gibson a lot better and using several pieces of unmatched wood for a body does not f_ck the sound. Wood does not know its ugly LOL. In fact the ugly wood may sound better it is all luck.
The PU's are passable but who doesn't eventually change PU's.
At $600.00 USD it is cheaper than the fake looking veneers top sunbursts.
In short you get the tone and do not pay for the Xmas decorations or wood wallpaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment