Wednesday, November 1, 2023

OVERDRIVE- PedalPalFX PAL800 V4 ____ NEW ___ an important second look

 PedalPalFX 
PAL800 GOLD OVERDRIVE V4
This as the name suggests is a MIAB. In fact the JCM 800.
$200.00 USD
Luis and Alvaro literally took a JCM 800 to their shop and dissected it then
reproduced the preamp but substituting the tubes with FETS as they work and sound very, very similar to real tubes. The bulk of most MIAB are just clever EQ using an OpAmp. It is cheaper and much easier to do. You can get a pretty good OpAmp OD but never the detail in the harmonics that a FET will give you. With an amp you need to BIAS every tube to match. PedalPalFX  go so far as to do what is in effect the same with FETS. That difference is the pixie dust that comes with this pedal. In short the pedal you get has the BIAS tweaked on every pedal so your pedal sounds exactly like the shops JCM800. It is a last step before it gets put in its box.
This pedal is a pedal masterpiece made by 2 men Louis & Alvaro who love what they are doing and take pride in making the very best.
You can check out the full review and watch the vids published in the August 24 Post.

THE BIG BUT
If you live in the states times are tough with 4% inflation pushing up the price if everything.
If you are Luis and Alvaro you live in Venezuela. The f.ing inflation is 400% ...no it is not a 
typo the inflation is a astounding 400%!!!
Like every business times are tough most of us are not buying.
We have it bad. These guys have it literally 100 times worse.
keep in mind every one has a family and friends in Venezuela that can not find a job. 
Those that work have to support those that do not.

WE CAN HELP-
Even if you are broke you can help. If you are not then buy their killer pedal. It is not some 'Charity' well meaning but crap. It will be the best pedal on your board and a life time keeper.
BUT-
If you can not buy you can make a big difference with just a few minutes of your time.
Many of you may watch ___Phil McKnight's of Know Your Gear __Friday live stream. The guys site has 118,000,000 followers. Just go on his live stream and ask him to review the pedal. If enough ask he will. 
He has reviewed their past pedals and loved them. 
He has the  V.3 ...Pal 800 on his own board. He is a decent guy I am sure if we only get 10 or 20 guys to ask he will do it.
Luis and Alvaro do not have a 'put it off until tomorrow' option.
So need I say more ??? 
THANX ...big time for anything you can do. 
Remember just one thing. The only difference between 
players anywhere on the planet is the color of their Strat. 
You know this. Its time to help one of our own.


9 comments:

  1. Hi mr. Paul!!I hope you are well!How does the Pal compare to the Turbononna?Do you think it is better?Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most MIAB pedals go for the kind of studio produced sound you hear on the records that made both you and myself want a real Marshall stack but we have settled on a pedal for many good reasons. The Turbo is just such a pedal. A sort of larger than life sound. I love that sound just as much as something dead real to the amp. But I also love an authentic sound. Both are cool so if you can have both ..why not???

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem is we have a lot and the mrs will crack our heads open!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Mrs is a bass player and has an American P. Bass, Jazz bass and Musicman Sting Ray ...all quite old to die for models in mint. Her pedal board is impressive too. I am more careful with spending then her, lol. I do not eat out or even buy a coffee out. I worked out how much I save and it goes on gear. The PedalPal came out in August. I simply saved 3 months for it. When I had a full time day job gig prior to Covid I saved about $10,000 a year by not using restaurants or going to movies or paying for concerts etc. It ALL went on gear. I know buy pedals world wide to find blow outs cheap then resale it and buy new stuff. I also go to estate sales and buy usually from a family that are selling grandpa's gear. $800 for a mint condition Gibson SG Ltd. Ed in hardshell case. A 1999 Washburn handmade in Japan Semi with inlays etc, etc in near mint for $350. In short get creative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the advice mr Paul!Be well!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it better than the v3?

    ReplyDelete
  7. One would have to put them side by side testing them thru the same gear to split hairs as I hear nothing fuller or richer on the v.3.
    The V.4 has 3 different voices. I prefer the main lower one which sounds like the one that I feel everyone of the v.3 bought it to get. It is very fat and rich.
    The v. 3 offers 2 more voices. The middle one on the switch which is more nasty with a tad of scoop. That one is possible on the v. 3 but it requires tweaking where on the v.4 you have it done for you on the second voice on the switch.
    Both have the Jose/Slash voice at the by pulling the switch upwards. It a bit like an upper mid Tube Screamer boost effect. If I had the v.3 I would be just as happy.
    It is also nice to not have the big size of the v.3 wasting space on your board when by shrinking it does not appear to be negatively effecting the sound.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi again mr. Paul! I`m between this and the LPD eighty7. Can you compare them? Also how do you feel about the Shredmaster? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Mr Ewing, I hope you are well?
    I have a question, and I understand if you don't reply. It's a rather strange question maybe? I'm planning on buying the pedalpalfx vol4, but I feel there is something I don't quite understand. I
    Am also thinking about buying a marshall amp. I don't have any amp in a box type pedals, so I'm wondering should I buy the amp or the pedal!? I feel there is something about the amp in a box pedal Im just not getting!
    I hope you can help!
    Thanks
    Paul

    ReplyDelete