Saturday, March 9, 2019

BOOSTER- NRG EFFECTS Poker NC-107 ...60's style frequency booster ...a musical machete ...total horror show !!!


 NRG EFFECTS POKER-BC107 

$170.00 USD
An idea borrowed from the '60's with a modern spin. Do not dirty the sound just boost the sh@t out of the overtones and harmonics. More then just a treble booster.
It give the sound a metallic like quality the slashes thru like a machete.

A switch takes the edge off the highs or you can warm up the whole tone. A second switch fattens the mids or boosts the lows. Finally ...of course there is the familiar knob for level.

On its own it gives muscle to rhythmic chord playing or definition and cut when stacked on an OD.

All beautifully handmade with premium parts.

It would be the perfect pedal to stack on an OD or Fuzz to tighten the sound by giving it clarity by cleaning up any mud. Added sparingly to your clean sound it removes anything lame or wimpy from it.
I can not help but think it would be awesome on a Strat or Tele!!!

Keep in mind that it does not have a level control. The only pot you have increases the gain.
Unity gain is at 1 o'clock. Fortunately that is where all the really great tone is.


CONCLUSION
Will I buy one? Many of you know I am looking for the perfect transparent OD for my Strat sound.
I have a Providence Red Rock on the way to do just that.  Should I wait??? 

I think  this could boost it or even replace it. It will certainly be great to stack on any OD.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Paul,

    I've used the Poker-BC107 since December and it has transformed my core sound. I use it together with a BluGuitar Amp1 on the Vintage channel, and I could manage with this combination for almost all my dirt needs (blues/rock/metal). But out of sheer laziness and to save me from knob twiddling, I like to stack it with a PedalPalFX Gold Overdrive or a DOD Carcosa. I used to engage a Tone City Mandragora as a boost for my lead sounds, but this is not necessary anymore.

    I was looking for a treble booster but I was concerned about pedal size and about matching the pedal to my amp. Reading on the forums, many people have varied opinions about the same top tier of treble boosters. My guess is that it comes down to what amp they're using. There aren't too many mini treble booster pedals available to begin with, and even less with great tweaking options. But the Poker makes it easy to dial it in to your amp.

    This pedal is quite similar to a fuzz, but with more clarity and less "fuzziness". It gives great picking dynamics, it clears up beautifully when I dial back the volume on my guitar, it gives me more sustain, it boosts all the right frequencies to be heard in a mix and adds some extra sparkle. Most importantly it does all this without losing the feel of playing the amp. I'm not sure how to describe it, but some pedals take away the "meaty chewiness" of playing the amp, so I guess it messes with the compression in some way. One of the toggles on the Poker-BC107 messes with this amp feeling too, but I just choose another setting.

    The Poker is a great pedal without even considering the price, but I'd suggest you wait for the Providence Red Rock to try it and see how you like it. Then if you're not happy with it, check out the Poker-BC107.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your letter. Well written and informative. We all learnt a little more. Please make it habit. Drop by and put your slant other pedals.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers? Because I’m going to start my website soon, but I’m a little lost on everything. Many thanks! DNA Poker

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, and great website. Thanks for the information! Agen Poker

    ReplyDelete