Saturday, August 19, 2017

REVERB- TC ELECTRONIC HOF mini....an awesome sounding very cheap reverb for an 'always on' sound

   TC ELECTRONIC H.O.F mini REVERB                                                                                     


$99.00 USD

If you caught anything in the wind thousands of players either think the full size Hall of Fame or the EH Holy Grail is the cat's butt when it comes to a reverb. Neither are even close to the Neunaber or a Time Line or any other big bucks reverb.

So what's my point?

If like me you gig and need an excellent always on reverb this is it!
You can still keep it if you get a high end reverb.
I find I can use my Neunaber for a dramatic sounding chorus or mid 8 in a tune but  when I switch back to the verse the tune sounds just weird going back to a dead dry sound.

Keep in mind it only holds one sound. this is not a bad thing because the whole 'chip'is holding that one sound ...this is why it sounds so good. You have one sound but you get to choose it.
The cool thing about the HOF is tone print. You can download dozens of choices . Some are even those used by the proberial Star Players. Finding the very best 'always on' reverb sound becomes a given.
Most players are going to head for a good Spring reverb sound. They are classic, they sound good and are useable. A Hall type reverb for example has hundreds of reflections. Now compare that to a Spring with it's two. I would bump that up to a Plate reverb with Four. It is similar to the Spring but is much,much fatter. The basic Plate for the HOF is full ...with only minor side effects. Gourmet vanilla!  You do not loose all of that in your face balz of a dry tone and yet you still get the luxury of a rich ambience. A total win-win sound.

4 DEMO'S THAT TELL THE WHOLE STORY

The first shows off the the very high quality of the pedal by showing you two extremely different sounds. One basic type of sound and one over the top ambient reverb.



     The 2nd shows you a very nice 'always on' type ...safe and familiar Spring sound.


    The 3rd shows you my choice in a fat sounding yet plain vanilla Plate.


 The 4th is a custom plate. A bigger sound then you may need but it gets the point across that a 'Plate' can be big but not 'busy' sounding.
Personally I would get into the Sound Prints customizing page and smooth out one of the Plates by killing a bit of resonance and fade the tail. There is just a bit too much going on for me

LAST WORD.

OK...as for me I am using my amp's digital spring reverb. It is near invisible which is how I like it. 
BUT...I am very impressed with the obvious trouble that TC has gone through to make algorithms that interfere as little as possible with a guitars sound even when they are mixed a bit high.

Room is always an issue. for obvious and not so obvious reasons. A pedal board of 3 feet by 2 feet is my limit. I plan to make a new much lighter board BUT...it will not be a bigger footprint.

I digress....will I buy one????

I just did!!! I will squeeze it onto my board somewhere.  lol

So it comes with a very nice 'hall' sound. It seems to work so I will live with it for awhile
before I check out the downloading new sounds thing.

UPDATE
The Hall of Fame is the patch it comes with. The algorithms comes from TC's Pro products that were on countless recordings going back to the 80's.
Great choice as it seems bullet proof. I am still using it and feel no need to change it.
.



No comments:

Post a Comment