Saturday, August 12, 2017

OVERDRIVE-BJF Design BEAR FOOT Model 'G' ...bored with the same-old? How about the sound of a Gibson amp????

BJF DESIGN BEAR FOOT Model 'G'    


Bearfoot have been around for a long time under the B.Y.O.C. banner selling clone kits.
Clone kits that you solder together yourself.
They now sell their own designs as Bearfoot.
Recently they struck a deal with DonnerBox in St. Louis Missouri. They can now have the Bearfoot product made cheap enough to sell for $149.00 USD. I see  no evidence that this is ready. At present the Model 'G' is not in their production line up anyway. It is listed on their Bearfoot site as a handmade product for $222.00 USD. They also started to make a Model G + ...there are not any vids for the G+. The first shipments just went out.

NOTE: go to the new Post ...BJF designs BEARFOOT Model H. 
I have since made sense of this multi layered company. 

I find the graphics & paint jobs
on the Bearfoot pedals
dead ugly...
The yellow and brown however falls into the
"It's so ugly it's cool." category.
LOL LOL
Supro and others have found a lot of players are looking for that 'Amp in a Box' that is not another
Marshall or a Fender amp.
I for one love my Marshall's. But as a song writer I love something different to give my tunes some freshness. In short a few other amp sounds are welcome to join my arsenal but not to replace it.

In spite of calling it a Gibson combo sound it really sounds more like many of the 50's Valco amps. Gibson amps sound very boxy where the Valco sound more open. No big deal either sound good.
Thanks to Scott Hager of Axe & You Shall Receive for giving me the heads up about this.
The guy is a gold mind on amps and pedals.

Readers will know I have been trying to find an OD that has just a bit of crunch past a clean sound.
The closest is the Vertex Steel String Clean Drive. It is a very accurate clone of the Dumble SSS single channel amp This amp is a composite design based on a few 50's & 60's Fender amps.
Fender have reissued the 65 Deluxe and if you team it with the Vertex the whole Dumble clean sound thing is nailed.
It still sounds fine with any clean sounding tube amp. It turns out when not pushed into crunch you get a mind boggling clean sound. Pushed it distorts but to me that distortion is a bit thin.
I keep it for my always on clean sound. So it stays. It replaces my boost.

THE MODEL G
The Model'G'.has what I would describe as clean tone crunch with balz big time.
The vids tell it all!!!

Unfortunately I have found that the break up on pedals with OD's that try to stay dead clean can get annoyingly ratty, thin and sparse and uneven.So far I have bought (then sold) about a half dozen pedals that have tried to get this right. No one has nailed it.
But I keep on trying. LOL

I will take another chance and buy this one.



.

... from 10.23 to 11.08 you get the fatest clean sound 

I have ever heard out of an OD  


8/12/2017

I am currently waiting for Prymaxe an on-line store to give
me the heads up on a new shipment of pedals.
Currently their Ad gives a cheap sale price of $159.000 USD instead of the regular $222.00 USD price but a note plastered over it says out of stock.
So what the new price will be is not a given.

Today I found a site that is out of stock too. They sell the G+ they say it has more sustain etc.
and they say it is the 'new' replacement.
So if any pedals show up I expect they will all be a G+ with the price at full pop!
I further expect the price was to blow out the G in favour of only the G+ being made.

2 weeks later   8/28/2017

So I just got the much hoped for E 

It appears I was right about the pedal being the new G+ model but wrong about the price...

I will not be paying $222.00 USD but I will get the sale price of  $159.00 USD.  

I should probably have the pedal next week.

A month later... LOL
Do to a few cock ups the pedal did not get sent...good ol' Steve at Prymaxe got me some action and it is on it's way....
Two thumbs up for Steve...

I will be talking more about Steve when the pedal arrives.

10/9/2017
still no pedal.  LOL
So...will I get the green one ...or the brown and yellow one???
the suspense continues.......

10/15/2017
still no pedal
What the F_ _k!!! lol

10/17/2017
it was shipped...today
NO!!!
Don't ask!!!  LOL


Let's see now .......I put my name on the "letcha know when we have more" list in August...waited 2 weeks...got the heads up...ordered pedal .............mmmm and now it is mid October...and they just shipped it.

________________________________________________________________________________


VERY SCARY! 
OCT 31/17 ....delivery day                           

So it all started in AUGUST AND IN JUST 4 HOURS IT WILL BE NOVEMBER !!!

Well the saga continues. 

I as such imported the pedal. Some companies know that is a customer wants to get the best deal then then they ship by using the mail without doing more then putting both the customer's address and their address with what I imagine is the value as their costs. The Post Office in the importing nation can not afford to check the hundreds of small plain wrapper parcels coming thru the mail and duties and taxes are waived.  In the real world 90% of these packages have a $2.00 pair of knitting needle being sent to Granny. The cost of labour alone on a Postal Employee is much more then that. Companies like ...Analog Man simply warn the buyer that there will be no insurance or tracking etc. ...I have never had a problem with either delays or non delivery with this.

So ... Pymaxe not only filled out the value but they put the value as the regular price ...not the Sale price. I got hit with another $35.00 USD. Ouch !

To be fair I am sure some PC with a current price list just shot this figure out to some poor bastard trying hard to get orders out ASAP.


ONE SMALL CONSOLATION... I am sure that many customers think the deliberate home made look of the Bear Foot artwork is great. I am not one of them!!! 
pay the big bucks so even the basic MXR simple look at least looks pro. Up until getting the pedal even the site was showing the product as a drab green metallic used by 999 out of 100 of every Tube Screamer knock off pedal made. There were a few pics kicking around online of it being in a blotchy yellow and brown case, Now this I do like... a case of something being so ugly that it's cool!!! LOL  Yes I got that one.

The first thing one notes when picking up the pedal is it's substantial weight. This is very reassuring. Then one gives the knobs a spin to find them smooth but firm.In short you know you have a quality product with a quality build,

Even with the standard Prymaxe shipping I would expect that most of the parcels get thru as the Pedal Inquisition only can get a few per day. They can not slow down the mail. I imagine they are too busy  with some high fashion parcels and Japanese camera's not to bother with too many pedals.


Keep in mind ...SHIPPING IS FREE,
It is hardly obvious that by shopping around that most pedals sell for a FIXED PRICE ...so 2 thumbs up to Steve and Prymaxe for this witty way of beating the system.
I already have an A/DA PBF Flanger coming from them.

I will be back by the weekend for the hands on update.

UPDATE

OK...The pedal really does sound great. It has a rich and very distinct tone.
you can transfer a tune that you wouls
d usually see as being for an acoustic without any downside.
This was my first attraction of the pedal and it does not disappoint !!!
This pedal is definitely a keeper right from the get go!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment