Tuesday, March 21, 2023

OD/FUZZ ...CRAZY TUBE CIRCUITS Motherload ___ NEW ___ A Big Muff & Rat in-a-Box

$270.00 USD
CRAZY TUBE CIRCUITS| MOTHERLOAD
A no-brainer concept. Put a Muff and a Rat in one box. The company has pretty much an unbroken record of delivering pedals that check all the boxes. They capture the sounds of the classics but remove all the warts and problems of those pedals. They deal with the noise floor and make a completely well made reliable product. This always changes the original sound enough to hear the difference so it a personal call on how much you 
gain or lose.
The layout is volume, gain, tone, filter (Rat tone control), voice (high pass filter to tighten the bass) and a toggle to choose between the 2 sounds or link both together.
CONCLUSION
A real Rat is $90.00 USD and the Big Muff is $100.00 USD. Used ones have 
been around for decades so even mint condition ones show up for half price. 
I have a real Rat but if I added a Muff I would likely spring for the Ram's Head for $115.00 USD. If I wanted versatility I would get the $150.00 USD Way Huge Swollen Pickle, Muff. It can dial in a sound close enough to a Rat like voice to 
cover that kind of a sound. You can get the heavy massive thing too.
As for the Motherload it is excellent sounding dirt pedal and as it's own thing but 
I do not hear anything exciting at all. Once again we get  a pedal that is wearing a 
tuxedo imitating 2 pedals that wear torn and worn out Levis. 
At the price there are many dirt pedals both Fuzz and OD's that make 
me go WOW! that I am dying to have. This isn't one of them. 
 

7 comments:

  1. Any recommendation in the CTC line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The CTC pedals are aimed at a session musician that does Pop and light, Rock or light country etc. . They are robust, quiet and cover a lot of ground but in a conservative way. The guy goes in to a session and the producer asks for a Fuzz but wants it very laid back to not compete with the vocalist who is usually the one that's name will be on the recording. Theses days guys like Pete Thorn also have YouTube show and he uses these pedals because he is also a studio player or he takes gigs in bands where the singer is a Pop star with these softer sounds on the records. All other players tend to be locked into their favorite genre. In that genre the Stars on recording want pedals that are very specific . Even in your face sounds. Some players now see guys like Pete Thorn as Stars so they buy pedals like the CTC which is new phenomena. To me doing nothing but originals I see these pedals in my mind as Vanilla Ice cream. Nobody hates Vanilla but is not very exciting and as I feature my guitar playing not my singing I need pedals that have a WOW factor or at least grab the listeners attention.

      Delete
  2. What is your current pedalboard?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My current pedal board is too small as I use 58 pedals to cover my 3o original tunes. I cut back as it was nearly 100,lol I have to make my own pedalboards. The current one is made of pine and holds 40 pedals but it takes 2 guys to move. I am working on a 2 new ones that hold 35 each that I can patch into one. They are made of ABS plumbers pipe. Light weight but very strong. I have already cut much of the pipe that will be glued into a 3 tiered frame. It keeps the footprint smaller if I go vertical instead of a big flat horizontal board with just one surface for pedals. They are more compact so as one guy lifting and carrying them my arms are not stretch out too far. I can also put always on and power supplies under 2 of the tiers. Only the one with the Switcher needs to be on the floor. The other on a stand so it is easy to adjust some pedals settings between tunes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A picture of your board, please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is an old Post ___ PEDAL BOARD-OLD JUMBO ...temporary board
    I have swapped out maybe 8 pedals. Usually replaced with what I feel is a better OD or Comp than was in the same spot.
    Is totally a mess as 80% has no velcro on the pedal as I keep refining the board. Often what I get is nice enough but not better and I sell after a few weeks. Odd things happen like some pedals use germanium diodes or clipping diodes that make the pedal useless fitting with other pedals that have a buffer. Some makers do not mention the germanium things in them , others don't mention the buffers. But some germanium pedals just work great anyways as do buffers. It is a lot of dumb luck what works no matter how careful you choose. Everything works with just one pedal only, LOL.Add to that guitars even with the same PU's in them can work with one pedal and not another even if the pedals are very similar like a MIAB.

    ReplyDelete