Tuesday, April 25, 2017

OVERDRIVE- HORIZON DEVICES Precision Drive ...an original take on a high gain pedal...or a lot of hype???

HORIZON DEVICES Precision Drive

$260.00 USD

The first thing I just have to point out is that the underground hype
on this pedal a month ago was on the silly level. I not only could read it
I could smell it. LOL

Definitely an original high gain pedal. 
On its own it sucks!!!
At least as far as I am concerned.
You can get a really tight sound from the Friedman BE-OD and you get far more variety of tone.
Or you can choose a large number of high gain pedals that are huge sounding that will make this sound like a microscopic mouse.
If you stack it with a really fat sounding unruly pedal it could be a real asset.
Personally a smart noise gate will work as well and clean up the noise as well.

It is being manufactured by MXR but it is not an MXR pedal.
Why? Perhaps to give it credibility???


Two things...the playing is stellar ...do not confuse the playing with the tone.
Secondly this is an infomercial for the pedal. It has a sh@t load of post production.
In other words the studio sound is at least half the sound of the pedal.


This review is confusing but at least it has no cosmetic surgery. LOL

We will have to wait for one of those lovely amateur home made Vids. Until then we have an infomercial and store Ad.


This Vid is a fair summary



FAIR IS FAIR

UPDATE January 2018
If you are not using an all tube amp designed for modern Metal I stand by my opinion.
BUT  but if you are this is a valid option.


So my apologies for my scathing opinion April 2017.



COMPARE THE ALTERNATIVE
REVV AMPLIFICATION  G SERIES G3



__________________________________________________________________

       NEW !!!      

HORIZON DEVICES APEX PREAMP 

same only a LOT BETTER
IT SOUNDS GOOD EVEN THRU A SMALL BEDROOM PRACTICE AMP
you can even record direct thru it!!!!

CHECK THE POST!!!

4 comments:

  1. Well, this is something entirely different than the M.I. Megalith Delta. It's supposed to be used in front of an already cranked amp to boost the mids, tighten the low end and add clarity and chord definition without losing aggression while the pedal you recommend focuses more on simulating an amps distortion. Or am I getting something wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apologies I completely agree with you.
      But if you are not a pro ....on average you do not use an all tube amp voiced for Metal. If you do not
      the current 'All In The Box' are still your best choice.

      Delete
  2. No you are not ...but in the end it is the tone that counts. The M.I. will work in either case. Add to that how many players have stacks etc. A lot of guys with even an average amp will get stellar results with the M.I. and if they move up the pedal will still be good. Add to that if your personal situation for what you want or need changes the M.I. will give you a classic Marshall type fat Plexi sound. The Horizon is a one trick pony and to my ears it sounds damn thin ...add to that it is hardly being demoed on a 30 watt combo. Why do we not get a real demo??? Where we here the amp without the pedal? Personally I think it is an over hyped over produced rip off!
    There is just so much better stuff to choose. I for one wouldn't want to have to be the guy trying to resell it.

    ReplyDelete