Monday, January 1, 2024

DELAY- MXR M309JOSHUA Ambient Echo ___NEW___ first new pedal for 2024

MXR| M309 
 joshua 
ambient echo
$240.00 USD
I have a really big pet hate about these units. It is simple. I believe a guy should be able to plug in a pedal and pick a few tunes he knows how to play and instantly hear something  bordering on usable on at least one out of every few tunes. What the guy gets is red and yellow stripped beer farts swamping his dry guitar sound. WTF. 
Yes I am being facetious but there is literally a new ambient Delay on offer every week. Disney only needs a new Star Wars soundtrack every year or two. What are they needed for ...I underline ...NEEDED.
So what is this one all about. Well I am hopeful. The sounds are from the best of those from the last century. The Joshua does no have the word tree added but we all get the hint. As such they tend to be, dare I say it? Usable. 
CONCLUSION ___
Well for a start MXR have had the go to analog Delay for years although reissues and gourmet builders using NOS parts have 
grabbed much of that. MXR do as a rule just like Boss make a 
usable pedal. This appears to be one. It does for one thing a 
few basic very good vanilla sounds. So after a  week of 
making Sci Fi sounds in your bedroom and the novelty 
wore off you will still have a usable pedal. 

the fine print
Back when Noah got off the Ark and most of the EchoPlex pedals got water damage he invented the  
Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man.
There are now 4 variations on offer. The big but is  Movall just brought out a very impressive
clone. So for $32.00 USD with free shiping on AliExpress you getcha-self an ambience delay.
No, like the original there there isn't any tap tempo.
I will not digress into why but in my opinion I never use one even if it comes on a unit. 
 I have one on order so if you can wait. I will do a 'Hands On' when I get it. 
 
UPDATE 
It arrived!!! If  instead of Movall it said JHS, Wampler or Gourmet Pedal U.S.A. etc. 
and cost me a couple of hundred and a bit I would not be more impressed!!!!  
The pedal is beautifully made and sounds killer. The damn thing 
is a total steal!!!! 

3 comments:

  1. A day or two early but happy birthday Paul! Another Ontario old fart here lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad passed away from heart failure a couple of years ago at 92. My mom is still kicking at almost 93. I could croak from any number of things. Unjabbed so it won't be from that. I just received the Demonfx clone of the JHS Andy Timmons AT+. Great pedal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are NOT Deluxe Memory Man clones! They’re not even analog. They are loosely based off the Keeley Mag Echo which is has a digital PT2399 chip with analog filtering. Same as the deep blue delay. The modulation on this is pretty good but it’s way darker than a real deluxe memory man.

    ReplyDelete