Tuesday, December 26, 2023

DUMBLE OVERDRIVE SPECIAL AMPLIFIER vs. ITSELF ....and the wannabe pedals???

DUMBLE OVERDRIVE SPECIAL

I went looking for video demos that would give a simple overview of 
what the amp sounded like. The goal to compare it to pedals that 'claim' to sound like the amp. I did not need or want bullsh@t flash solos . I wanted a few ordinary tunes. Just a verse and a chorus in a medium tempo to be able to here the overall tone when a pick strums across a few chords, adds a riff or two then repeats that for a minute. 
I found most videos to be beyond time wasting. A lot of religious talk that
god almighty loved this amp but no actual basic ordinary demo that even a $50 desktop amp gets. The first two are not even the worst but the best of the worse, LOL. The third is indeed the best. It is also useful as it uses a Strat. Even the head of the Fender Custom Shop says if you hear a Strat PU in anything no matter if it is a clone or made with some un-Strat wood etc. it still sounds like a Strat. Amen!!! It also helps when the pedals do likewise and use a Strat to demo them. Even if you do not have a Strat you are at least comparing apples to apples not apples to cornflakes.
 


WHAT ABOUT DUMBLE-in-a-Box pedals ???
I may add more but for now I just choose 3 pedals. 
Two offerings from J. Rockett. The $200.00 USD ...Dude V2 and the $240.00 USD ...HRM. I chose them because first and foremost as they are the best sellers which means not cheap but affordable. Secondly I could not find more than lint picking about them. I also chose from a choice of 18 others the pedal of the gods.
The $300.00 USD ...Cornerstone Gladio SC because the 'cork sniffers' wet their pants over it. At $100 more we need to be impressed? What we get is more the same as the J. Rockett than different.


_______________________
THE BIG CONCLUSION
They all sound enough different that if you owned any of the amps or in our case the pedals you could likely pick out the one you owned. On the other hand if you had to hear all them with a 5 minute break between hearing each could you pick out one that sounded noticeably different? I think they sound more alike than most MIAB pedals.
the fine print 
If I had to pick knowing my rig is dark sounding but being like most guys wanting a fuller 
sounding pedal I would chose the J. Rockett HRM. The Dude is not as full and the 
Gladio is warm and impressively rich but could  sound too dark and muffled in my rig.

1 comment:

  1. I must confess that I didn't understand Dumble's sound until I read your post. But I still suspect that some guys look for that tone so they can sound like the greats without having to play like the greats, without having to work hard on the guitar. I'm not trying to be mean, it's just an impression I have. In the end, it's an interesting tone to research. Got me thinking... Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete