Sunday, October 21, 2018

___PART 1.___OVERDRIVE- SURPRISE SOUND LAB HVO ...is it the very best? of the very best? ...It might well be the best on the planet!!!

 SURPRISE SOUND LAB HVO 
$280.00 USD
___________________________________________
With this much voltage ...in fact 250v this pedal has some serious headroom. It has the ability to produce a high gain that breathes just like a real tube amp. All the harmonics and dynamics of a real tube are there !!!
In fact it acts 'exactly' like a channel in a big bucks gourmet amplifier because it has a power source equal to one.
At full gain in fact ...stupid level full gain the
transient response is immediate.
ALL other OD's have a split second delay on your attack and you end up with if not mush but a bassy sound. With this pedal the attack is immediate!!! F.ing zero delay!!!

The genius behind this pedal is Kim Hardee.
who in 2013 hated transistor dirt pedals as he found them muddy and lacking in dynamic range. He has and still makes good tube OD's.

Other makers have used high voltage but quite simply have not given the kind of attention and effort needed to give their pedal the voice, EQ or tone shaping control that the HVO has.

You get 3 voices, 3 way EQ, 3 bass roll off settings and
3 gain settings. All the controls deliver big time none are window dressing to sell pedals.

A lot of pedals boast about what this pedal boasts ...
But the HVO delivers!!!

This one blows me away!!!
I can recommend a few others as good in a totally different way   ...BUT
...but none are better!!

SO I ORDERED ONE!!!

I was told it would be ready in 2 weeks.

If you order one ...you must first apply with your statement of intent then wait a week or two to pay and get your order inline to be made. 
It is a bit pricey so you might want to wait for my 'Hands On' review!!!

With all the Xmas mail etc. I may well wait to near Xmas to get my toy!

DEC.22/18
Do to a PayPal screw up they did not 'E' Surprise Sound that my pedal order was paid for. If they looked on their Pay Pal account they would have seen that they had the money in their account.
It is now on it's way so it should arrive in the next 10 days

____________________________________________________________________________
.
I set up the video of the HVO so I could go back and forth between Rockett Retro Amplifiers (this company makes old Plexi clones) and the HVO.

How close is it ???
I will wait until I get it. But if what I heard is accurate ....

I will sell off about 15 or more of my OD's and buy 2 more HVO pedals.
I will use one for a nice backed off Crunch 
...one for heavy power chords and 
...one for shredding!!!
I will only keep a couple of transparent low gain OD's

HOW BIG IS IT?
 YUP... It comes in the same case as the Empress. LOL
Personally I find this comforting for two reasons...
If you legitimately want to get any seriously high voltage you need the room for the parts.
Perhaps even more important you need the room to do a spec that is safe because this kind of juice can
kill you!!!! easily kill you!!!
This box is built like a tank!
I have both of these pedals!








1 comment: