Saturday, January 13, 2018

OVERDRIVE- CELMO Pimento Sardine OD ...the first to add 'sag' to a pedal...impressive


 CELMO PIMENTO SARDINE OD 


$165.00 USD
Celmo are a French pedal maker. This is the first OD to address the 'sag' of a real tube amp. A situation where the amp's transformer runs out of head room and overly compresses the signal which drops the signals level for a split second then creates a nice 'swell' when it regains it's headroom on the next second the pick hits the strings. The affect can be felt by the player as well as heard. I always think of it as the amplifier gasping for air. lol
It reminds me of a battered old PLEXI or a grungy voiced cheaply U.S. made amp in the Chicago 50's era. Capture that sound in a box and you have a great sounding pedal. Well maybe not great but big time fun!!!
Build the thing in a faux sardine can and you get to smile every time you click the switch.

b


  WELL I GOT ONE!!  So it's HANDS ON  time. 

So how is it?
My first Amp!!!
Well all that sag and what not is there. It has a deep gnarly voice with the lows and lower mids of a 50's era cheap American amp or a 50 year old Plexi.
It sounds like my first Amp a cheesy National!!!
It is a big pedal. Dead cool looking but it uses up space. Definitely a one trick pony ...but the trick is so good I love playing it.
The first vid gives you a very good idea of what it really sounds like.
There will be places it shines and places it just doesn't work. Definitely for those who want something different. A great second or third OD in your kit but not your main dirt pedal.

I have had one for a few weeks. It has a lot of breadth to the sound. Great chunky chords and will produce expressive riffs that just snarl back at you. LOVE IT!!! it has quickly become a fav.
One tip. NO COMPRESSION! It has all it needs and any comp or boost kills its amazing expression.

THIS IS A KEEPER ...a world class BEST!!
It does it's own thing ...and if you you marvel at at some of the sounds of dirt from the mid 60's thru the early '70's you will love it.
Hell I love the best gourmet Marshall pedals but every time I get one I sell for the next...
.... 'New Improved' that shows up. That's OK too.
But it is always nice to have a quirky but bullet proof keeper sitting permanently on my board to play as I watch my other OD's on my board come and then go. LOL :-)



1 comment: