Sunday, August 21, 2022

FUZZ- SOURCE AUDIO Kingmaker Fuzz ...the 'Fuzz' with 7 simple parts goes digital?

SOURCE AUDIO
KINGMAKER
$170.00 USD

Why Digital ???
Digital Reverb even to an analog purist is hard to argue with. To over simplify reverb is quite simply a thousand single repeat echos all repeating at once. You can not do that with an analog circuit or it would take a pedal the size of a school bus. At the opposite end of pedal tech is the Fuzz. The very first one was made with 7 parts and early classics had 9 parts. A very impressive sounding one can be made for 
$30.00 so why go to a high tech pricey digital pedal?
Many much loved analog pedals are loved for how they color the signal as much as the signal their circuit creates. That coloration is technically a distortion of the signal just like on vinyl records the sound of the needle  dragging over the plastic on the disc is part of the sound. Digital is told to 'make' a sound and can only make what it gets told. The chip does not add character of it's own. Well the Fuzz is notorious for bring the equivalent of that needle on a vinyl record scratching to the circuit and a digital Fuzz can get rid of all that and just keep the 'good' stuff.
The King?
One up side is the pedal has been around since 2015 so if it didn't sound impressive it would be long gone. 
Like many Fuzz pedals you get level, gain with tone handled with treble and bass. You get a choice of normal, heavy and octave fuzz. Each takes the characteristics of those kinds of Fuzz but none are specific to a brands approach like a specific Big Muff or a Tonebender etc. You can get digital downloads to push each voice a little closer to those territory's or arguable something new by stacking two Fuzz voices but in practice the average player won't go there. If you run stereo it has a pair of jacks in and out etc. In short you get every conceivable bell and whistle that is fun stuff but it will not marry with cool old simple analog stuff without an even larger migraine. That said used conventionally it's fine.
CONCLUSION
I have pulled some great Fuzz pedals off my board as they are beyond killer when 
they work but never reliable. Only today where I rehearse had one of it's random 
drops from the mains voltage and it made many my whole rig work on a lower 
voltage that sounded like crap. The worst thing is one thinks you have some kind 
of a partial short in your cabling. With 60 pedals that's a lot of trouble shooting. 
But before I checked my cables the first thing was to pizz around with my Fuzz pedals.
This sounds very, very impressive and is bullet proof. So ... ???

 
The Nerdy Stuff  ^
the fine print 
If you are a 'Fuzz  Guy' and can get along with 
even a vintage germanium Fuzz then don't bother. 'I get it'.
In my case I am a singer song writer with a Prog Rock 
background that I earned by my playing. I am also in a trio. 
I can not have unreliable pedals .  I find very high gain pedals, 
Fuzz pedals and stacking pedals awesome sounding but also 
easily out of control. no one covers if I stop playing for a second.
sooo ...this one has my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment