Sunday, December 9, 2018

OVERDRIVE- Wampler Tumnus & Tumnus Deluxe OD/Booster...more Klon or less Klon but a Klon more or less! lol

 WAMPLER TUMNUS OD'S

It all started with the The Tube Screamer. They nailed down
an OD circuit that benefited nearly every rock player and then
every pedal maker in the biz copied it. Soon it became necessary
to try and improve it. Much later it became the bases of something unrecognizable. A ts with enough gain and EQ can pass for a 
Marshall wannabe.
Now the same thing is happening to the Klon.

Wampler in his wisdom saw it was primarily what the design does to the lower mids. It fattens them but leaves your basic guitars sound reasonably intact.
So he fattened those mids up even more and then gave the pedal more gain keeping in mind not to loose too much headroom and 
kill the Klon sound. More gain? Why? Because we all moan that 
no one ever gives enough gain. lol It saved him the trouble 
of doing v.2 to stop the wining.


On the Deluxe he increased the gain even more ...damn the headroom!  He then threw in some good EQ to let you shape the whole thing to best fit the guitar and amp you are using and to accommodate your playing style.




With entry level Klon clones less then $20.00 USD ...and the inventor making a good buck on his KTR I hope the debate of what's the best is finally over.
The best is the one that makes 'your' music sound great.
_________________________________________________
___________________________________________________

Well I find that the mini gain nails what it is all about. Fat warm  lower mids but a reasonably good transparency letting your guitar's natural sound come thru.
The Deluxe is almost a Plexi wannabe. LOL It is not that it doesn't sound good  ...it sounds great. BUT I own lots of Plexi's.

I just need something to take the metallic edge off my clean sound, give me some sustain and let the sound of my overpriced gourmet  PU's thru. 
Especially my Hendrix Strat and my 55 Tele bridge.

So it's thank you Brian and order a Mini Tumnus for this guy!



Go to 29:00 and check out the comparison!

The next video's is what ...too me ...this pedal is all about. The Tele  keeps its idenity even when the dirt is pushed up.



CONCLUSION
So I got one. I stack it on my LovePedal Super 6 SRV pedal. Bingo! I have that Stevie Ray V. sound.
I can not imagine using one pedal without the other. Single coil heaven!!!



1 comment:

  1. So I have the original mini tumnus. Do you think the Tumnus Deluxe is better overall or also worth owning?

    ReplyDelete