Wednesday, November 15, 2017

OVERDRIVE-FRIEDMAN BE-OD vs. the DIRTY SHIRLEY

  FRIEDMAN DIRTY SHIRLEY vs. BE-OD 

So many of you have been hitting on both of the Friedman Posts I thought you would really like a look at this. If I did not have either I would get the SHIRLEY but I have the BE-OD in fact I ordered it on the 3rd day after it was posted.
I have yet to make up my mind on the Shirley as I have a one Hell of a lot of choices already on my board for a good medium gain OD.
Hell my CMAT Mods Brownie just arrived this afternoon and it is still in the box. LOL


I truly believe the Shirley is a better pedal incredibly fat and the master of the power chord of which I use a lot in my writing for aggressive accompaniment for vocals.
The BE-OD is a better solo shredder... but I have several pedals for that.





To day the 'Shirley' arrived.
The thing that most impressed me about the BE-OD was it's dynamic sensitivity and it's easy ability to 'swell' a note so that it headed into some lovely acoustic feed back.I was delighted to find that the 'Shirley does that equally well.
It could be that there is an expander in the circuit.This would imitate what playing an amp loud would do by introducing some feedback back into the pedal. If so the idea is genius!!!

The basic difference is the Shirley has a classic Marshall sound ..fat and full of rich harmonics where as the BE-OD  pushes the gain right into Metal territory..
What gets lost with the BE-OD is the fatness and the richness.
The BE-OD is at it's best for soloing and and long sustains. 
The 'Shirley is best at power chords and vocal backings.

I much prefer the Shirley. I have pointed it out before. Most of the night most of us are playing a structured tune so 80% of the time the 'Shirley' can jump right in.
If you find you are only doing the odd 8 bar or 16 bar solo then the Shirley is more than adequate.

 IMPORTANT ALTERNATIVES ???

OCT 13/18

TIME MOVES ON ...AND OTHER MAKERS GET BUSY!!!

 DAWNER PRINCE RED ROX DISTORTION 

KILLER OD. GIVE IT A LISTEN... IT SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!!
EVERY PLAYER HAS A PICTURE IN THEIR MIND OF WHAT THE PERFECT OD WILL SOUND LIKE. THIS IS MINE!!! I DID NOT EVEN ANALYSE IT I HEARD IT AND ORDERED IT MINUTES LATER!!!
NOW I HAVE IT AND IT IS ALL THIS AND MORE... IT CAN SUSTAIN A LOT LONGER THEN BE-OD AND IS AS FAT AS the SHIRLEY!!!!

IN A BLINDFOLD TEST OF 35 OF THE BEST OD's ROB CHAPMAN PICKED THE RED ROX AS THE BEST!!! LIKE THE GUY OR NOT IT IS NOT A RECOMENDATION TO BE IGNORED!!!





1 comment:

  1. The dirty shirley has a much better transient response with more headroom on the attack hence a really balzy attack.

    ReplyDelete