Saturday, August 26, 2023

OVERDRIVE-NUX 650D 6ixty 5ive Overdrive ___ NEW ___ Bassman-in-a-Box

NUX| 6ixty 5ive Overdrive
$50.00 USD
Part of the company's Reissue Series. This amp became more famous when Marshall took the schematic and cloned it to become their first amp the JTM45. 
A pedal being a pedal is usually beeped up a bit more in the gain so this could have been called a JTM but ....?
I had this amp in the late 60's . I used it to record but not in my band as they drowned it out and pushing it flat out made it get muddy.
The layout is Level, Gain, Treble and Bass with an internal trim pot to cut or boost the highs.

CONCLUSION ___
It nails the amps sound quite good. I have never been a fan of even the JTM variation of the amp. My thing has and is the amp following it the totally original JMP 50 often referred to by its model number 1959. 
It has the infamous EL34 tubes that make a Marshall ...a Marshall!!! 
NUX do that pedal too. They call it the PLEXI Crunch. It is a killer pedal!!! It loves a Tele :-)
All said and done I can not fault the NUX 65. I also love some 
variety and it has a bit of the 6L6 bright thing that has me tempted :-) 
 
Oddly the basic circuit is used to make the Timmy and the Jan Ray. With a bit if tweaking including the trim pot you can get a clone of either so close its scaredy.  
One last thing of critical note is that Robben Ford first Dumble ODS was based on this same amp. No two Dumble's are a like. They sound at minimum as different as 3 different Fender amps with the same name made years apart. I mention this to make the argument that as a pedal this is as good a sample of a Dumble as any other pedal out there. Finally if you can use it as a booster. You can even dial in a killer SRV ...Tube Screamer type boost.  

amp starts at 7:13

5 comments:

  1. Supposed to be like a Vemuram Jan Ray. A comparison with the DemonFX version would be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard from some guys it does a Timmy. All these pedals are really a Tube Screamer with the clipping diodes change to give it slightly different tone and or more distortion. The nice thing about the 65 is can cover all these pedals if you take the time to nail it. I have other NUX Reissue Series pedals and the controls make noticeable changes by just moving them a nano amount. In other words going from 10 O'clock to 10:30 O'clock can really make a difference. The down side is if you accidently move a knob it kills your sound, LOL. I have the NUX Plexi Crunch and it is the to die for dirt for a Tele. It makes the tele sound fatter than a guitar with an HB PU.

      Delete
  2. Hi Paul, I would like to buy a MIAB pedal. What do you think of the pal987 plexi carrera pedal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find the 987 a bit harsh for my taste but everything the company makes is at minimum a 9 out of 10. Their best pedal is arguably the PAL 800 v3 gold which had a waiting list for a whole 2 years. I always wanted one but I kept spending the money waiting for them to have inventory. The waiting list was not unfounded. I have heard a few that might tie it but certainly not beat it. In short if one argued it was the best on the planet it would be more than credible. Only 3 days ago they released the PAL 800 v4 gold. I am waiting for a video. If it is really as good as the v3 and at $200.00 USD it is a total steal!!! I have their 7 year old original 800 still on my board all this time and it will never leave. In the 80's the big name players had their 800's modded. The 3 most popular mods are on the v.4 at the flick of a switch. The Slash mod puts this pedal into 987 territory without that harsh thing.
    Most MIAB pedals give you the sound of a Marshall that you hear on a great recording. Obviously with all the changes an engineer did to the sound. They do sound damn good. I have a few. PedalPalFX do a dead accurate sounds of the amp right in their shop a few feet away. Yes! literally dead accurate. I like both approaches but I just have to have the real thing and nothing is closer than PedalPalFX pedals. My advice is to wait and hear a V.4 video.

    ReplyDelete