Thursday, September 8, 2022

BOOST- MXR CAE MC-401 Boost/Line Driver ...boring ? ...but necessary

MXR| MC-401 CUSTOM AUDIO ELECTRONICS BOOST/LINE DRIVER
$100.00 USD
This pedal was designed in 1980 by Bob Bradshaw when even pedals fell into disuse 
and racks reigned supreme. At the same time many session players needed the problem solvers too, but they needed to be portable. 
My problem is I use so many pedals that a buffer in theory is the answer but in reality they need a good kick up the butt too.
I can not have anything added to a boost where one pedal sounds killer and another sounds like crap. I am already doing that to some extent by stacking pedals the 
results are uneven and I end up with a silly amount of extra pedals. 
I use 62, I need less, not more. 
Anyhow good ol' Bob Bradshaw invented his own boost that he put into, racks, boards, pedals etc. The circuit was the same but what it went in differed according to the guy that needed it. Many players like even good ol' EVH had his rig made to interface with the house systems and recording and had no idea or even cared what was in them. At sound check the whole room had to sound like what was happening on stage from his amp.
In 2008 MXR came to Bob with the idea of putting his problem 
solvers in a conventional pedals that guys like you and I 
could both get and for that matter ...afford.
CONCLUSION
Yes ...boring indeed. The BIG but!!! A pedal like this can 'possibly' make your whole rig sound like you just got some $4000.00 USD gourmet amp. It's worth a shot. 
The CAE in a shoot out was the cleanest. Others had very cool things in the mids or sparkle in the highs but most at best soften the lows and at worst made them muddy. In short the CAE gives you dead clean lows so the pedal has more balz then even my best OD can not touch! Finally ...since they have been around since 2008 used ones are not too hard to find. I found one mint in its box for $70.00 USD. 


No comments:

Post a Comment