Monday, October 10, 2016

OVERDRIVE- TECH21 HOT-ROD PLEXI...there are 2 but one is hard to get

TECH 21 HOT-ROD PLEXI


This has got to be the ultimate 100 watt Plexi right down to the 4x12 cabinet thump!
Then they took that last step further and put in that modern boost typical of a Gourmet Repro-Plexi amplifier manufacturer...the sound of an enhanced overdrive channel with a 12ax7 to supply the smack!
I hate to once again say the sound is huge  ...so lets just say it is massive ... lol

Jimi Hendrix had out his first LP when I went to a concert to see him. I went thinking his record was a lot of studio tricks. I left the concert thinking what Eric Clapton said to Pete Townsend when they first saw him together in a small London pub.

Clapton said "THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING !!!"
This pedal was the sound I heard that night.

The Export model with the
'THUMP '  cab resonance control
only 1000 made


The current model
with the 'PUNCH' mid control
   SUCKS!!!


Current Price $179.00 USD

The first video compares the real amp with the pedal!





IF you have been searching for a sound so big if it reflected back off the wall it would crush you
then prepare to be amazed at the sound on this video !!!!
OUCH !


NOTE:  the new label on the purple faced pedal is a mid control ...this pedal was for the domestic market and is currently the only model made ...unfortunately the black faced  model was a limited edition for international distribution. The mid control labeled 'PUNCH' model is a very pedestrian pedal ...it is devoid of the amazing 'THUMP'.

 In my opinion the Thump was a very important feature it gave the pedal a massive girth ...it makes the demo redundant ...without the Thump feature I would not recommend the pedal!

I had a bad  feeling I should research the name change... It was worth it as I was going to buy one.

BUT 

 I had a good look and found a few by searching world wide. There are 

'New Old Stock' Black Faced models in Australia ...France and even South Africa. These varied in price from about $250.00 USD to nearly $500.00 USD.

The best deal was in the U.S. via Germany where ...I got the last one ...from Rouge Music for $179.00 USD which is the current price of the new model.

Rogue Music buy up dead stock and clearances from stores and resell it. 

The Export stock is from 2013... so act accordingly if you want one. Get hunting.

                                       A few will eventually show up.

NOT GOOD NEWS IN SPITE OF ME ASKING WHEN I MADE MY ORDER AND BEING AFFIRMED THAT I WAS GETTING A BLACKFACE MODEL....I DID NOT...I AM SURE THAT THE ONE WHO CONFIRMED MY ORDER SIMPLY LOOK AT THE PICTURE ON THE POSTING...I FULLY EXPECT THAT THEY DO NOT AND HAVE NOT HAD AN OLD MODEL...BUT SIMPLY USED IN HOUSE FILES OF PICTURES FOR THEIR AD!
SO NOT ONLY DO I NOT GET THE PEDAL I HAVE ALL THE POLITICS AND EFFORT NEEDED TO BE DONE TO GET A REFUND!!!
...

SO FOLKS ALL THE DUMB ASS STUFF I THOUGHT COULD HAPPEN  ...DID
In short there was never a  THUMP model in the first place

But credit where credit's due...they called up TECH21...who had one left collecting dust on the back shelf for a few years ...just waiting for me.  LOL

A PLEXI IN THE REAL WORLD
-------------------------------------------

So how does it sound?
Well with the THUMP off it is adequate but not very exciting OD.
With the THUMP on....it does sound very big.

In the real world the thump will change according to the pitch and dynamics of the playing.
This does not do this...the effect is much more static ...it is more like an octave pedal playing an octave lower then the music played. The higher the volume and the more real speaker is pushed the better the elusion.

The Carpe Diem and the LPD Sixty 8 Drive...are far superior pedas when it gets down to the actual amps sound. BUT...these pedals are a hundred dollars more.

So what's the verdict???
I expect in the video ...the amp it was being played thru had a bit of spank...and was 40watts or more
which is not unfair if you play with a drummer in a band context.
At 5 watts though it is a nice effect...but not mind blowing.

So in short I think live this thing will kick some serious butt 


At a price of $179.00 USD it is good value for what you get.
I worked on a tune I thought it would fit...and it did indeed do wonders for that tune.

The Carpe and the sixty 8 are a far better choice ...and in the long run would fit any tune needing some dirt.

So folks not being able to get one is not a crisis ..but if one comes your way it could be a useful addition to your board.

I only had my Tele to test the pedal ...I will let you know how it sounds with my LP.

Well with the Les Paul this thing speaks!!!!
Once you get the your tone settled you bring up the thump so it is even with the with your sound without it ,,,then even with a cheap practice amp you get pretty much what you hear on the vid.
That sir!  Is not to hard to take.  LOL


SO ENDS THE CRAZIEST POST ON THIS SITE  :-)











No comments:

Post a Comment