Saturday, June 18, 2016

UNIVOX SUPER-FUZZ...IS THERE A PERFECT CLONE


THE UNIVOX SUPER-FUZZ

...if you are like me you have never heard of the damn thing...LOL

By the late 60's the Vox Brand amplifier was selling faster then Univox could make them.
Thanks to the Beatles...The Rolling Stones and other Brit bands who were having an unprecedented world wide success...business was booming.
Univox soon began selling Vox guitars and organs as well but had run out of room in their facilities to expand further. They found they could sell accessories very easily just by licensing rebrands of other producers. When they decided to enter the pedal market the first pedal was a Fuzz. The Fuzz was a rebranded Solasound Tonebender. Later the Shin-Ei FY-6 Fuzz from Japan that had been rebranded under many names became another choice.
Yes just glue on a different sticker before you pop it into it's box and like magic you have got a brand new pedal!!!!

before

after


The Univox Super-Fuzz quickly became popular. It was the favourite Fuzz of Pete Townsend. The 'Live at Leeds' album made The Who the ultimate live band. It also turned the pedal into a "must have' for thousands of musicians. Soon  many other high profile guitar players were hitting the stores to get one. It had 2 sweet sounds..one was screaming faux octave highs...but the best was with the click of a switch it produced a huge spludge of a low end sound. Thicker and heavier sounding then any other Fuzz at that time.

At about this time Vox partnered with another company in order to expand....when a short time later
it failed ... both companies went into receivership. Without the original team running the company...Vox lost it's way under the new management.  The point being Vox no longer sold the Super Fuzz. etc.


The Videos are all over the map. Everything from tight controlled sounds...to straight out noise and everything in between. The pedal's design allows the user to take the sound to the edge or even past that if you wish.



By today's standards this thing is a Gourmet pedal. It was away ahead of it's time. Pedals like the Big Muff  that followed it were pretty tame by comparison.

With Radio Head,  Blurr and the Jesus and Mary Chain bringing a new generation of players into the hunt...prices have left the galaxy!!!

At $800.00 or more a pop for a hard to find used one ....I would expect clones.

THE SUPER-FUZZ CLONES

Get ready there are more Super-Fuzz clones then Klon pedals!

Tym Super Fuzilla, Black Cat Super Fuzz, MJM China Fuzz, Trave's Sludge,  Mikes Gear Garage Slant6Super, Creepy Fingers Harakiri, CBC The Super Fuzz, William Watson Super Fuzz and the Watson EFY-6 Fuzz, The B.Y.O.C. Leeds, R3D Super Fuzz, Maxon FA-10 Elements Air....last and my fav... the Ananahead FX BCN Super Fuzz

OK..quite a list...and I found others that freely said they were influenced by the EFY-6 circuit but took it and blah...blah...blah.
Add to that some other names have closed their site...out of biz I assume.
Not to mention I have likely missed some???

Oh...one...but it is not a clone...it is the company that bought the licence...to call it  the UNIVOX SUPER-FUZZ....it doesn't sound like a EFY-6 either  LOL

As for prices the most popular cheapie is the B.Y.O.C Leeds..at $110.00.....but I did not find it convincing in the low end. 
The one that gets all the buzz is the....

WATSON SUPER FUZZ
Nice looking box...great demo
....they recently got sued for using the name...SUPER-FUZZ

Current Price $200.00 USD



Post Lawsuit Box with a name change! 







They now have a cheaper version...using a printed circuit and a simpler standard box...

The new EFY-6 budget version has more control Current Price $150.00 USD

The Watson stuff is a beautiful made and great sounding product. The cheaper FFY-6 perhaps strays away from a true Super-Fuzz...but the sound is great in it's own way.
Their original Super-Fuzz..with or without Super-Fuzz on the label...sounds very close to the original but cleaned up.
For me it is the cleaning up that spoils it. It is tighter...the old Shin-Ei has a bit of slop in the sound..even some mush in the low end...but its that low end sludge that makes it feel that a power chord has just dumped a thousand tons of musical hot lava on you!

ANANASHEAD FX BCN
SUPER FUZZ

It appears to be a good old fashioned warts and all clone. Made in Spain.  No updates...no fixes...but no loss of the magic tsunami of sound that made it famous either.

There is little or no info on Ananashead...just a few other products on u tube.They appear to specialize in hand made clones of discontinued classic pedals...primarily OD pedals and Fuzz pedals. The pedals use high quality modern parts for things like input jacks etc. things esential for a robust long wearing product...but where the sound is concerned they track down vintage inventorys of the parts of the original pedal being cloned. In short sonically it is a  part for part clone.
Many makers follow the original schematic but use a new part with the correct value. They do this to guarantee a constant of supply of parts....this of course compromises the sound. One day Annahead may not be able to get the parts and they will cease to make this truly vintage pedal.



In short. The little companies often have an exact sonic replica of the vintage pedal
The Big Guys are quite close and include modern  improvements in the use of... or even function of the pedal
.
Choose accordingly...
....a very crude but perfect sounding tone...
....or a problem free pedal with a strong rep...that often is an easy sell (who the Hell is Bananahead!!!                or  Ananahead or whatever it's called) LOL

OK...IS THIS THE PERFECT CLONE?  YES MAYBE NO...keeping in mind old pedals when new had at least minor variations in sound do to minor changes in design over the life of the pedal...the original parts were often crude by today's standard...and a new pedal is made copying an old even beat up used one can sound a bit different. In this pedal I was looking for what is best described as massive spludge' in the very low end...and a nice ringing faux high octave in the highs. The 'spludge' suggests the original brands were used for parts...the high end meant testing to make sure the transistors were matched...and the pedal sonically tested for sound...not just testing the circuit.

$90.00 USD

Bottom line...I listened myself stupid...and I am still impressed.
Soooo......
I just bought one!
The last one listed...but I expect another 10 or so will get listed very soon.

So the day after I get the standard Ebay note telling me it is shipped. One always gets the glib little thankyou form letter bit  from the sender.

But...not these guys .....no form letter crap...instead I get a little note from Pedro Garcia asking me if I have questions etc.
HELL!...I already like these guys and I don't even have my pedal.
If it is as good as I hope...I think a Post on Ananashead....could be really interesting. I will get Pedro
to give us the scoop on the history etc.


So once it has finished leaving the sunny beaches of Spain and arrives at my door...you will get the full blow by blow...and either I or the pedal will get knocked out. Yes I hope the pedal wins...I would love to be knocked out by it

Bottom line if it is as good as I think .You will have a chance to scoop up a gem!....cheap too...and before the small inventories of parts dry up.

....so today it arrived...easy to set up...the switch change the tone from a singing tone great for leads.....to a deep raspy tear your face off sound...I left that on for hours. In spite of it's heavy distortion all your notes are  beautifully defined...no mush
Just a great basic 'cover all the bases' Fuzz but with a lot more aggression then a Big Muff. Considering a Big Muff is virtually the same price wise...I would rather have the Super-Fuzz.

...this things a keeper! 

Ananahead did a good job on this. I think I will explore more of their pedals.


9/18/2016 
I have had my ANANASHEAD SUPER FUZZ...for about 3 months now. I still love it. 

1/22/2017
So here I am in the new year...the damn thing seems to improve with age...when you play it you get all this crackle and pop..it always sounds like it is going to burst into flames at any second..lol
It is just too cool. a pedal with it's own personality and attitude..lol
I love using this in a chorus behind a singer playing power chords...it always lifts the vibe of the chorus 10 feet higher then the verse. great stuff
Listen...buy one...just buy one.


3/12/2017
Yesterday I was doing a tune where I use the SF on a chorus.
Beautiful!! I still get a buzz when I use this!
If you still have not got one. Why????

6/25/2017
I now use both of the 2 settings...the heavy crunch bottom heavy is my fav but i recently got to like the high octave jobbie!
I sold my $400.00 monster and then yet another Big Muff NYC
So my main fuzz is this one.
No regrets... I actually feel kind of stupid wasting money on the other fuzz boxes.

4/21/18/18
WOW time does fly!!!
Since being here I have bought to new Fuzz pedals .Amazing ...great pedals ...LOL
Imust have been bored. I sold them both.
So the only Fuzz I have is this one. If any one touches it !!! There dead!!!
Just kidding but damn it! This pedal is unreal.
So many people have got one now that Pedro decided to have some fun with his own beefed up
take on this pedal. It is hard not to love it too.
Checkout Fuzz- Ananashead Super Fuzz v.2
You better buy one or the guitar fairy will come in the night and steal your guitar
she doesn't like guys that can't shred a  note because they don't have a serious dirt pedal. LOL

7/28/18
So I have ordered fittings to turn my Jumbo board into 2 smaller twins...the Jumbo holds 54 pedals
crushed together and weighs over 60 pounds. F@CK!!! My new ones will hold 30 plus each about 60 to 65 pedals.
I have added a few more Fuzz pedals and have one on order ....and my Ananashed???
Still number ONE!!! It is just so wonderfully disgustingly gritty!!! I still love it.
There are now several Posts on Ananashead product!!! READ 'EM ALL!

Check out the BYRD SONG treble booster ...Pedro Garcia 'is' Ananashead... to get the exact design he all but killed to get hold a real copy of the original Vox Schematic for the V806. It was only made for a year. Tom Petty used one forever and Roger Mcguinn Byrds 12 string sound was based off of it
in fact he had it built into his Ric to keep it a secret!!!
It can do so many cool things beyond this. Turn a medium gain OD into a Vox better then any pedal made to be a Vox.. it can give your Strat a Brian may sound that you will not believe. Read the Posts
or get smart just order it together with the Fuzz. 
I can wait for the thank you note from you so enjoy both for a few weeks before sending it. LOL

IF YOU HAVE NOT GOT YOUR'S YET ...WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR???


This the old style casing.

  

     START THE AUDIO TRACK AT 7:31...
       ...listen for about 15 seconds...
             convincing!!! and cheaper then hundreds of
                  crap  fuzz boxes!!!



                   
DEC 21/18
I have been really busy lately.
In the last year the ProCo has been selling RAT 2 by the truck load.
Everyone wants a slice of the pie. Two weeks ago Electro-Harmonix brought out the Flatiron they even admit it is a knock off! The new and improved Rat!  LOL LOL LOL

It reminded me... maybe Pedro does one?

HELL YES! He does and it is another part for part version of coveted first Rat known affectionately as the 'Big Box Rat' the one with the discontinued D308 chip !!!!
Well nor discontinued for Pedro!!!

Holy SH@T guys it is another killer!!!!  .... with that huge crushing low end missing from the
ProCo v.2

ANANASHEAD D308 FUZZ
















                                Compare the real Rat to PG's clone


Once again I warn you, The NOS chip can not last forever!
Buy know or weep later!!!

4 comments:

  1. Just ordered the Ananashead Super Fuzz, and a bargain! Thanks so much for this info. I'm taking a crack at Pete's tone on Live at Leeds-I'll keep you posted-wish me luck!
    Best,
    Bruce
    Bronx, NYC
    60 year old budding Rock Star, a legend in my own apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good overview, but Vox and Univox were totally unaffiliated and unrelated. Plus Univox never manufactured guitars or any other instruments. Univox contracted Japanese factories, primarily the Matsumoko factory, to manufacture their guitars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good overview, but Vox and Univox were totally unaffiliated and unrelated. Plus Univox never manufactured guitars or any other instruments. Univox contracted Japanese factories, primarily the Matsumoko factory, to manufacture their guitars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the heads up guys. When I wrote this I was new to the vintage stuff. Vox sold a re-branded
    Tonebender.

    ReplyDelete