Saturday, April 16, 2016

OVERDRIVE- IS IT A DISTORTION PEDAL OR AN OVERDRIVE OR A FUZZ ???



CATALINBREAD'S  KATZENKOENIG

So...I heard what I assumed was the fattest fullest overdrive I have ever heard.
It was tight but it had the kind of totally massive bass I have only heard on an exceptional fuzz...but it can not be a fuzz...because...well...not fuzzy???
The player then went into a solo with lots of sustain...even the harmonics were lifting off the notes...so it is a distortion?
 Right?
 Right???



    EVEN IF THE  RESULTS ARE!!






VERY COOL !!!!
BUT IT HAS A DOWN SIDE



It uses very old technology and bastardizes it. An old Germanium Fuzz design...but with the transisters swapped out to Silicon jobbies. Then the back half of the design is from a Rat distortion.
You can not cobble a thing like this together without problems...in this case the noise floor is high. To be fair there are a lot of pedals that sound great that have a high noise floor.
But this being a high end pedal...puting in a gate should be a given.
This would not stop me from buying one...as I have some noisy pedals and I have 4 gates to look after that. Yes with nearly 50 pedals this makes sense.

OH YES CURRENT PRICE  $ 170.00 USD

OK....I have gone over this for a week. I extended my research to the WHITE RAT 85....a limited edition remake of the first RAT....the only one that the critics raved about...all others were panned....It sounded disturbingly similar to my fav setting on the KATZENKONIG.

NOW TO MY SURPRISE....another demo compared the WHITE RAT to a MOOER BLACK SECRET

OUCH!!!....the Mooer clone was about 98% right on.  The Rat had a tiny bit more honk in the low end...the Mooer was a little tighter...Which sounds best as to compared to how close they are to each other is another question.
I would call it a tie.
If you lean modern...you would pick the Mooer..
If you love the traditional approach ...you would pick the Rat

Me...I can see using it as an overdrive and teaming it up with my Bogner Uberschall modern distortion.

 It sells for $48.00 USD

WELL..WHAT ELSE BUT TO FIND IT'S REBRAND ???  YES ???

FOUND IT   TOM'SLINE BLACK TEETH......Current Price $30.00 USD  RAT CLONE!

IT IS ON ORDER....a review in mid May..should be a given!

SDS...IS BACK ON TRACK WITH A REALLY COOL CHEAP PEDAL....
...........let's see if we all get a great pedal...and save $140.00 as well???



_________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment